top of page

Who pays ‘home’ fees for higher education in the UK?

Updated: Jul 20, 2021

Would you rather pay just over £9,000/year or up to £60,000/year?

You'll want delve into this information if you are:

  • a British/BNO passport holder

  • if your child is intending to study in the UK.

Getting home fees is a whole lot easier when you know how!

The rules about who pays ‘home’ fees for higher education courses in England are set by the Government’s Department for Education.

The regulations identify all the different ‘categories’ of student who can insist on paying the ‘home’ rate. They set out all the requirements a student needs to meet, to fit one of those categories. The regulations can be difficult to understand, so UKCISA has provided a guide here.

Students (and their families) MUST be:

  • entitled to live in the UK without restriction

  • 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for three years

  • able to demonstrate strong connections to the UK

  • temporarily based overseas with the intention of returning

  • able to provide evidence to support your case

It is important to consider eligibility as early as possible. If your nationality and place of birth is the UK, it's a good start but it is prudent that you plan carefully for several years before the university application. By the time your child reaches Y9 or 10, we recommend you are deliberately and consistently collecting evidence. This would include:

  • making family trips to the UK regularly, keeping all records including flight information

  • having a UK address with multiple proofs of address, including council tax.

If you can be granted home status, you can potentially save hundred of thousands of pounds.

Our expert can support you to increase your chances of being successful in obtaining home fees.

If you would like the peace of mind and proceed with stress-free applications, click to watch this free webinar video now.


Os comentários foram desativados.
bottom of page